Tuesday, July 27, 2010

2011 Ford Explorer




Just yesterday, Ford Motor Company unveiled the next generation of the ever-popular Ford Explorer. I am both intrigued and puzzled at the new direction this vehicle has taken. It looks like a mix between the current Ford Edge and the new Ford Taurus. The styling is decent, I suppose. I think it is a look that will have to "grow" on me. It is supposed to feature a new line of engines that are more fuel efficient, yet they do not have the towing capacity of the previous model, nor do they continue to offer a traditional 4x4 drivetrain, instead opting to move entirely into those electronic controlled All Wheel Drive systems. It seems like it would be fine for that inch of snow that a typical grocery-getter might encounter here in the northeast, but will that turn the wheels through the deep slop we got this past winter? I really wouldn't be too sure. 15 inches of snow is no joke. I can tell you one thing for sure: my Mustang certainly didn't do so well. This new Explorer also features some cool new electronics including the Sync system and a host of safety features including inflatable seat belts (!). Ford also claims a reported 30% increase in fuel economy over previous iterations. Not too shabby.

What do you think of this new Explorer? Awesome innovation or epic fail? Will you be saving your pennies this summer?

No comments: